We often times don’t think of food as poisonous.
But believe me, there are many deadly foods out there which often leads me to ask:
Why do people bother eating them?!
Before you make the excuse of national dish or they couldn’t find anything else to eat, just remember the fact that it can kill you. Here are 7 dishes that can send you to an early grave:
1. Pufferfish (Fugu)
This fish is commonly eaten in Japan and other places where Japanese food can be had. This fish has enough toxin to kill 30 adult humans and there is no known antidote. Chefs who prepare this fish train for 4-6 years due to the toxicity of the fish.
There are over 10,000 types of mushrooms and many are poisonous. Since mushrooms grow around many places, most people can’t tell the difference between the toxic and edible ones. Mushrooms like the death cap resemble another edible variety and will kill you if ingested.
3. Ackee fruit
This fruit is found in Jamaica and is an essential part of their national dish. But the Ackee fruit contains hypoglycin which causes blood sugar to drop drastically. If one eats the untreated or improperly treated fruit, one can fall victim to Jamaican Vomiting Sickness which includes seizures and lethal hypoglycemia.
This is a popular Korean dish. This dish has the freshly cut off arms of an octopus. Due to the freshness, there is residual nerve activity in the arms which cause them to move. The suckers on the arms can stick to the lips and cheek. If you don’t chew fast and drink enough water, the arms could stick to your throat and cause you to choke to death.
5. English yew
This tree is found in Southern Europe, Northwest Africa and Southeast Asia. It is commonly used in landscape design and ornamental hedges. Every part of this tree is toxic except the berries which many people eat. The seeds in the berries are toxic and special preparation is required before the berry can be eaten. One seed is enough to kill an adult human.
This is another type of poisonous fish, a shark to be exact. It is an Icelandic delicacy. It is prepared by cutting off its head and fermenting the fish in its own urine for 6-8 weeks. Apart from being one of the most disgusting foods out there, improperly prepared hakarl can kill you.
7. Water Hemlock
This plant has green and white flowers; It is considered one of the most toxic plants in the world. Hemlock is famous for killing the Greek philosopher, Socrates. The most toxic part of the hemlock is the root which is often mistaken for parsnip, a vegetable. The root contains a neurotoxin which can kill you if ingested.