Check out these wonder-working kitchen tricks. You’re welcome!
1. Mistakenly added too much salt? Just drop in one peeled potato.
The potato helps absorb the excess salt.
2. Angry over craked boiling eggs, add a pinch of salt to keep the shells from cracking.
3. Never put citrus fruits(Oranges, Lemons, limes,etc) or tomatoes in the fridge.
The low temperatures degrades the aroma and flavor of these fruits.
4. To clean iron cook-ware, avoid using detergents.
Alternatively, scrub them with salt and a clean dry paper towel.
5. When storing empty airtight containers, throw in a pinch of salt to avoid having that damp smell.
6. When making gravy (stews) and accidentally burn it, turn your mixture it into a fresh pan and continue.
Add a pinch of sugar, doing that takes out the burnt taste. P.S watch the qty of sugar tho.
7. Burned a pot of rice?
Place a slice of piece of white bread on top of the rice for 5-10 minutes to draw out the burned flavour. Be careful not to scrape the burned pieces off of the bottom of the pan when serving the rice.
8. Before you chop fresh red peppers, rub a little bit of vegetable oil into your hands and your skin won’t absorb the spiciness.
9. If you aren’t sure how fresh your eggs are, place them in about four inches of water.
Eggs that stay on the bottom are fresh. If only one end tips up, the egg is less fresh and should be used soon. If it floats, it’s past the fresh stage.
10. To banish ants from the kitchen, find out where they are coming in and cover the hole with petroleum jelly(Vaseline).
Ants won’t trek through the jelly. If they are coming under a door, draw a line on the floor with chalk. The little bugs also won’t cross a line of chalk.
11. Don’t store your bananas in a bunch or in a fruit bowl with other fruits.
Separate your bananas and place each in a different location. Bananas release gases which causes other fruits (including other bananas) to ripen quickly. Separating them will keep them fresh longer.
12. To keep potatoes from budding in the bag, put an apple in with them.
13. If you manage to have some leftover wine, cocktail drinks at the end of the evening, freeze it in ice cube trays for easy addition to sauces (white wine works wonders in sauces.)
14. After boiling pasta or potatoes, cool the water and use it to water your house plants.
The water contains nutrients that your plants will love.
15. When defrosting meat from the freezer, pour some vinegar over it.
Not only does it tenderize the meat; it will also bring down the freezing temperature of the meat and cause it to thaw quicker.
16. Always keep an aloe vera plant in your kitchen.
It’s invaluable when you scrape your arm or burn your finger. Just break off a leaf and rub the gel on the injury.
17. Too much fat or greese in your stew? Drop in an ice cube.
The ice attracts the fat, which you can then scoop out. This works wonders.
18. To reuse cooking oil without tasting whatever was cooked in the oil previously, while heating the oil, drop a small piece of fresh ginger.
It absorbs any flavors and odors.
19. If your milk always goes bad before you can finish it, try adding a pinch of salt to the carton when you first open it.
It stays fresh for a few more days.
20. If two drinking glasses become stuck together after stacking, it’s not impossible to separate them.
Just put ice in the inner glass and dunk the outer glass in warm water. The warm glass will expand and the cold glass will contract, making the glasses separate easily.